Sunday, May 07, 2006

Cultivating Ethos - The Beginning

Ethos is one of my favorite words these days. It sounds modern, even though it is one of the oldest words we know. It sounds mysterious and more interesting than its simple definition.

Ethos: the distinguishing character, sentiment, moral nature, or guiding beliefs of a person, group, or institution. Merriam-Webster, I. 1996, c1993. Merriam-Webster's collegiate dictionary. Includes index. (10th ed.). Merriam-Webster: Springfield, Mass., U.S.A.
But ethos has a certain je ne sais quoi about it (I took 8 years of French; I must use it whenever possible). It implies more that just a meaning. It implies something that seems more spiritual, something important.

As I write this, I'm sitting here in what is known to my friends and colleagues as my Mission Valley Office, I have purchased a bottle of water called "Ethos Water." Instantly, I know there is something more to this brand name. Ethos. Why do they call it "Ethos?"

I go to the Internet to investigate. I figure it's one of two things. It could be some kind of selfish marketing ploy, one that suggests something like you will become a better, more centered person if you drink our brand. In this case, they would likely have some sort of spiritual references loosely related to some kind of eastern thought or religion. But I hoped for something else, something tangible, something true.

As it turns out, it's called "Ethos Water" for the reasons I had hoped. The company behind Ethos Water is investing money from each bottle purchased in order to raise $10 million to help the poorest communities in the world have clean drinking water. Now that is something true, something tangible, something important, and something I'm glad this company is doing. Obviously, this company intends to make a profit; but they also intend to add value to the world through their business.

Currently, I am meeting every Wednesday morning with several other pastors in the San Diego area for prayer and support and for ministry building. It's my Small Group and a very meaningful time for me. Being that we are all pastors, and recognizing the incredible shifts in world wide Christendom, and what it means for people in our calling and for those we shepherd, we are revisiting what should be an already answered question: What is the Church?

This question is not as easy as it sounds, or perhaps, not as easy as it ought to be. I do not pretend to have the perfect answer; but I am working to develop a worthy response to it.

I believe the Church is to have a particular ethos that is distinctive, tangible, and true. This ethos doesn't just happen, it must be cultivated.
Cultivate: (from the word "culture") to grow in a prepared medium. Merriam-Webster, I. 1996, c1993. Merriam-Webster's collegiate dictionary. Includes index. (10th ed.). Merriam-Webster: Springfield, Mass., U.S.A.

Jesus, when describing His followers, said that they are the salt and light of the earth. He is saying that His followers have a practical and positive influence, not just on the members of the Church, but on the entire culture. Practically speaking, followers of Jesus Christ cultivate the community. They are not irrelevant or disconnected. What is the "prepared medium" that we grow a culture in? The teachings of Jesus Christ, our mentor, Rabbi, and teacher.

Therefore, we must consider Christ's direction to all of his followers in light of the mission statement he made for us.

Then Jesus came up and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:18-20 (NetBible)

I believe the Church's purpose is to Cultivate Ethos. "Go therefore and disciple (cultivate) - all nations... teaching them to obey all that I have commanded them (ethos)." It is an active, intentional, revolutionary activity. It adds value to people because it shows them the living Christ, the meaning and purpose of life, and the joy that surpasses all circumstance.

This blog will be about the intentional practice of Cultivating Ethos and its practical effect on the twenty-first century world and the Church and First Baptist Church of San Diego. I would love to hear your feedback and comments as we develop and act on this idea together.

Scott Furrow
Pastor

No comments: